Meemaw’s Sweet Potato Biscuit
Recipe makes 35 biscuits (they freeze well)
- 6 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 5 lb. bag of flour (we use White Lily)
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- ¼ cup of sugar in the raw
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb. of butter or lard or Crisco (cut up on chunks)
- Roast sweet potatoes for 1 hour and 20 minutes in a 400-degree oven. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Then remove the skins and cut potatoes in chunks and let them continue to cool. (This step can be done a day ahead)
- Mash sweet potatoes. Texture can be very smooth or if you prefer you can leave small lumps.
- Add all dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add cut up butter/lard and incorporate until well blended and slightly sticky.
- Fold in mashed sweet potatoes. (You can use your hands to fold this in if you wish).
- Flour a large cutting board and roll out biscuit dough and use a biscuit cutter to make 3-inch pucks
- Cover your sheet pan with parchment paper and spray the paper with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the pucks on the pan so that they are just slightly touching each other (they will rise more that way).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter and bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- When done place biscuit pan on a wire rack to rest and promote cooling.