Shrimp and Crab Gumbo
Recipe provided by Mount Pleasant Seafood.
- ½ tablespoon crushed dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 chopped green peppers
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of beef broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound of chopped okra
- 12 ounces of lump crab meat
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 1 dash of hot sauce
- Mix together Cajun spice mix and set aside.
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry, setting aside.
- Cook flour in a skillet, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes until it is browned, put in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or stew pot over medium-high heat, sauté onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic until tender.
- Slowly whisk 1 can of beef broth into browned flour. Add this mixture, the other can of broth, 1 cup of water and spice mix to your Dutch oven or stew pot. Stir in okra. Bring a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes until shrimp is pink, then gently stir in crab meat. Serve with rice and garnish with scallions.