Page's Okra Grill's Coconut Cake
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2½ cups of granulated sugar
- 4½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1⅓ cups of salted butter
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4½ cups of powdered sugar
- 2½ tablespoons of Coco Lopez
- 1 teaspoon of coconut extract
- 1½ cups of toasted coconut flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk, extract and butter to the sugar mixture and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the salt, baking powder and cake flour.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stopping to scrape the sides and combine completely.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 3 pre-greased round pans and bake for 23 minutes at 350 degrees.
- For the icing: In a large bowl, beat softened butter and cream cheese, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the extract and Coco Lopez, and then whisk in the powdered sugar. Add more sugar as needed until frosting is a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, frost and layer the 3 rounds of cake and then use the rest of the icing to frost the sides and top.
- Finish the cake by covering entirely with the toasted coconut flakes.